Six Russian tourists were killed on Thursday after a viewing submarine sank near the Egyptian resort city of Hurghada, according to the local governor.
Maj. Gen. Amr Hanafy confirmed the deaths in an update on the Red Sea Governorate’s official Facebook page. He said there were 45 passengers – including tourists from Russia, India, Norway and Sweden – onboard when the accident occurred, in addition to five Egyptian crew members. Apart from the six Russians, all the other tourists had been rescued, he said.
Hanafy added that four of the tourists were in critical condition and currently receiving treatment in the intensive care unit (ICU) at local hospitals.
The incident – involving a vessel operated by Sindbad Submarines – took place in the waters off Egypt’s eastern coastline on Thursday morning.
The submarine “crashed at a distance of 1 km from the shore” at around 10 a.m., according to the Russian consulate in Hurghada. The vessel was on a regular underwater excursion to inspect the coral reef, it continued, adding that most of those on board were rescued and taken to nearby hotels and hospitals.
The governor said “investigations by the authorities are underway with the vessel’s crew to determine the cause of the incident,” but he noted that the submarine held a valid operating license and the crew leader held the required “scientific certificates.”
In an accompanying video, Hanafy could be seen visiting nearby hospitals and talking with survivors, some of whom were wrapped in emergency blankets while others sat on hospital beds.